Izabela:
I’ve been reading Dune and have suddenly had a decrease of interest in it. Need to analyse...
I wanted to say it reduced the tension. But it doesn’t quite fit. It makes the hero less attractive to the reader. As if he has now ‘arrived’, left the stage of youthfulness and possibility.
Sure, according to theory, you have just indicated the closing if the hero arc. Theory fits. But the emotional impact on the reader is quite surprisingly strong. ESPECIALLY in Dune, where logically it is clear that the arc continues.
Also, there is no wedding ceremony. Theoretically, he just has a girlfriend/lover/partner. But the energy of this (joint tent, a child), reads like a marriage.
Considering that there should be romance, it is interesting to determine where the line between live and domesticity lies.
I think the line lies in contentment.
This should be the outcome of the hero arc, not part if it.
New rule: A hero can only have a satisfying relationship if there is an imminent threat hanging over it.
Unhappy relationships are allowed.
Contentment is not - it is for another fairy tale (can be a start of something, or the end, but during the story the hero needs to be tortured).
Published by Jeremy on behalf of Izabela (because Blogger's closed blog functionality is so buggy as to be useless ... do I sound peeved? I am.)
No comments:
Post a Comment